Break in Oil in 228i - BMW 2 Series Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Break in Oil in 228i

I was once told by a BMW saleman that BMW put new engines on a block where they were run for a few hours then have their oil changed before they put them into the new car. I cannot get this story confirmed anywhere.
My mechanic tells me that they do use a break in oil in new BMWs. He advise changing the oil after 4000 miles and not waiting until 10000 miles.
I would appreciate any information the smart folks on this forum have about this subject.
Also, I am somewhat bugged that my new car does not have a dip stick. I always liked looking at the color of the oil on the dipstick. Also I could not find the amount of oil in my 228i in the owners manual. I did find a web site that says it has 5.3 US quarts of oil. Any confirmation of this value would be most appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:33 PM
Administrator

I think they would have to run the motors for a little while just to make sure they are not going to have any problems. And yes I have heard of some manufactures using "break in oil" so I would just change it at 3000 miles and call it good. All of the info for breaking in the motor and when to do the first oil change should be in your owners manuals. There should also be a place that gives you specs of all fluid amounts or at least the oil.

When I bought my bike it has all the break in info about the motor and bike in the owners manual.

There are a few guys that have these cars so they can help you out !

Any Questions About The Site Just Ask
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:29 PM

Garage
Break in oil

I will change oil after approx 1,000 mi. Then go on BMW schedule.
I know it's not necessary but I'm old school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW 2 Series Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in