Introducing the BMW 2 series iDrive Touch system - BMW 2 Series Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Introducing the BMW 2 series iDrive Touch system

Here's a look at the new BMW iDrive touch system that will be making it's way to the new bmw 2 series vehicle line up.

"don't you know bad boys move in silence"

~ Daily Driver: BMW 328is
~ Future 2 Series owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 01:31 PM

The I drive is an amazing design and function one of the most innovative. And now to include a touch pad to improve and making it much more effective to make selections within the system just improves it so much more. they are going in the right direction to keep driving more safe by not physically having to touch the screen and still have your eyes focus on the road. I like where they positioned the knob it makes sense.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 03:10 PM

So the touch capabilities will be on the knobs not on the display screen itself? Does this mean no touchscreen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 04:39 PM

It sounds like BMW might just focus on the touch knob instead of touch screen. Personally i like the touch screen but when I am driving I would prefer the functionality of the knob instead. And now since they have add in the touch pad on top of the knob it makes it that much more easy to navigate.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:07 AM

Touch sensitivity on the knob vs the screen doesn't seem to be very intuitive to me. No doubt, owners will get use to it after a while. But I can see a lot of drivers going for the touchscreen first. BMW is behind the the technology curve on this one.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 12:49 PM

I thought the same at first too but yes it will take some time to get use too.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 PM

It's weird if you think about it, everybody else in the automotive industry is getting in to touch screens while here BMW is using a touch pad on the joy stick. To me that is moving backwards but if it works that is all that matters. As a matter of convenience do you guys think it would be any different?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 12:55 PM

I don;t think it's moving backwards it just make more sense to have a touch pad. In the video Dr.Martin Kummel said that the touch pad will be first introduced to china due to the characters they have in the language. It would take forever if you used a touch screen to scroll. And with the touch pad it makes it fast and efficient for it to recognized.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 AM

I would actually mount an ipad mini to center console. BMW actually offers an app called BMW Connected that you can download from the apple store that lets you take control of of the cars many functions. This would be a pretty good alternative IMO.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:07 PM

At least they kept the on-screen functions such as zooming in and out consistent with how smartphones work, at least this way there's no opening the manual just to find out how you zoom in/out, copy/paste, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW 2 Series Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in