2014 BMW 2-series Spy Photos - BMW 2 Series Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
2014 BMW 2-series Spy Photos

What It Is: The successor of the BMW 1-series coupe, which also forms the basis for the 1-series convertible. The next generation of 1-series coupes and cabrios will be known as the 2-series, which makes some sense: In other markets, there is the more plebeian 1-series hatchback, and the coupe always was the more upscale version. With the change in name, there will be a direct parallel to the upcoming 4-series—which replaces the 3-series coupe and convertible—and the 6-series, which always has been a 5-series–based coupe.

The 2-series moniker will allow BMW to jack up the price and to play a bit more with the styling. But, this won’t be much more than a heavily face-lifted version of the current 1-series coupe and convertible. There might be more differentiation in the future; after 2016, the 1-series hatchback likely will move to a front-wheel-drive platform shared with Mini. And, by the way, there will be an M2 as well, with a wider track and body. Oh, and 2-series is reminiscent of the legendary 2002.

Why It Matters: As BMW's 4-series will be positioned well upmarket, the 2-series could actually become the quintessential BMW—very much in the spirit of the 2002. Based on the brand’s storied compact rear-wheel-drive platform, the two-door should offer superior driving dynamics. (Now if only BMW can keep the weight down . . . ) The premium-compact segment is growing, with Mercedes-Benz adding the A-class and the upcoming CLA, and Audi introducing its A3 Sportback and A3 sedan. Considering that growth, it’s no wonder BMW is strongly considering a 2-series Gran Turismo. We wish them the best of luck in styling such a vehicle given the unattractive 5-series GT and the 3-series GTs we’ve spied.

Platform: The 2-series will use BMW's compact rear-wheel-drive platform, shared with the 1-series and similar to what underpins the 3-series. It will be an update of the current 1-series platform. No all-wheel-drive version is planned. BMW will add many connectivity and assistance systems not currently offered in the 1-series.

Powertrains: The heart of the engine lineup for the 2-series will consist of four-cylinder gasoline and diesel engines, all of them turbocharged. For European markets, BMW’s range of three-cylinder engines is possible. There will be two levels of the high-powered, turbocharged inline-six. One of them will drive the upcoming M235i, an M Performance model producing around 320 hp. On top of that, there will be the high-performance M2, churning out around 360 hp. With most engines, BMW will offer a six-speed manual and an eight-speed torque-converter automatic; the M235i and the M2 could be offered with a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic instead.

Competition: Audi A3, Mercedes-Benz CLA, Volkswagen GTI/Golf R.

Estimated Arrival and Price: The 2-series without M badging should arrive on showroom floors in early 2014 with base sticker prices starting near the current 1-series coupe’s $32,095. The M2 should follow a year later, and start around $50,000. View Photo Gallery

2014 BMW 2-series Spy Photos – News – Car and Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:21 PM

I like the red we're seeing on this 2 series test mule in the spy shots.
Anyone know if it's a new red or something that's already on BMW vehicles out now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 AM

I think the 2 series test mule is shown is the red melborne metallic. If thats the correct color than its not a new one. With all the masking you can really mistaken it for a 1 series since its body shape and size is awfully similar.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLuv View Post
I think the 2 series test mule is shown is the red melborne metallic. If thats the correct color than its not a new one. With all the masking you can really mistaken it for a 1 series since its body shape and size is awfully similar.
Really? you think it's hard to tell this apart from a 1 series? the 1 series had such a high roof line and looks like a mix between some compact sedan and a VW beetle. If I didn't know what it was I would have thought it was the new 3 series, roof line now is lower and much more sleek looking.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:56 AM

I realy like series 5BMW
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 12:01 AM

I can still feel the excitement of teasing photos of new models back then. Now designs are getting more common among manufacturers.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 01:11 AM

Well, I think manufacturers are having a hard time surpassing their own designs.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 02:57 AM

It really is hard to work on design right now considering the fact that a lot of cars are so alike nowadays.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 04:06 AM

I agree. I think the current designs that they introduce are most of the reimagining of the previous design and also from the bandwagon taste of the consumers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW 2 Series Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in