Mercedes CLA Diesel vs. BMW 2 Series Diesel - BMW 2 Series Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Mercedes CLA Diesel vs. BMW 2 Series Diesel

It's likely that diesel models of both the Mercedes CLA and BMW 2 series will be produced but which will be the better diesel vehicle?

What current diesel drivetrains does each brand have or are developing that can go into these cars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 PM

For the CLA, there are two diesel variants in the range. One is a CLA 200 CDI with a 1.8-litre engine developing 100kW and 300Nm. Benz won't even reveal fuel consumption figures for this car yet, although its leisurely acceleration time – 100km/h from a standing start in 9.4 seconds – has been announced.

The other diesel, is the CLA 220 CDI – a 2.1-litre four-cylinder variant good for 125kW and 350Nm to deliver an 8.2-second 0-100km/h time and fuel consumption of between 4.2 and 4.5L/100km

The BMW 2 Series diesel hasn't been announced yet. But based on the 1M diesel, we can probably expect a twin power turbo four cylinder engine.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 03:04 PM

I would expect the 2 Series diesel being the most powerful of the choices, and will be the most expensive. But with a twin turbo, if it does have one, will have much less fuel economy than the CLA diesels.

I think it will really come down to affordability and priority. Do you want more fuel efficiency or more performance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato View Post
For the CLA, there are two diesel variants in the range. One is a CLA 200 CDI with a 1.8-litre engine developing 100kW and 300Nm. Benz won't even reveal fuel consumption figures for this car yet, although its leisurely acceleration time 100km/h from a standing start in 9.4 seconds has been announced.

The other diesel, is the CLA 220 CDI a 2.1-litre four-cylinder variant good for 125kW and 350Nm to deliver an 8.2-second 0-100km/h time and fuel consumption of between 4.2 and 4.5L/100km

The BMW 2 Series diesel hasn't been announced yet. But based on the 1M diesel, we can probably expect a twin power turbo four cylinder engine.
The difference is availability of these german diesel vehicles, so far none of the CLA diesels you mentioned will be available in North America. However BMW is actively pushing a BMW 328d in North America at the moment, which is in a way, a good sign for the 2 series line up.

I think BMW might have their 2 series diesel available in North America before Mercedes.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 08:50 PM

I think this is a good opportunity for Mercedes to open up their eyes and possibly bring a diesel version of the CLA to compete with the 2 series diesel once it gets released in North America. I still think the CLA will be cheaper though but it might be a close one. The BMW 2 series is more expensive though I wonder if bmw would maybe consider changing up the price a bit to succeed in volume of sales instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW 2 Series Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in